The Help You Need
Through The Divorce Process

When Life Circumstances Change, A Modification May Be Necessary

California family courts recognize that lives and circumstances change over time. Sometimes, those changes affect lives to the point of needing to modify the divorce court orders of child support, spousal support or child custody. Remarriage, job loss and relocation are all examples of major life circumstances that may necessitate a divorce decree modification.

If you are in need of a modification or want to contest a modification from your former partner, talk with an experienced lawyer who has the experience to protect your interests and help you through the process. For more than 25 years, the Law and Mediation Office of Jennifer M. Sullivan has helped people with modifications and other post-judgment matters.

Seeking Post-Judgment Modifications

An individual may seek a post-judgment modification if a significant change in circumstances has occurred, making it difficult or impossible to abide by the terms of the current agreement. Specifically, parties may wish to seek a modification if any of the following circumstances apply:

  • Spousal support modifications, when there has been a change in marital status, a change in the receiving spouse’s income or ability to support himself or herself, or a change in the paying spouse’s ability to pay.
  • Child support modifications, when the financial needs of the child change or the financial circumstances of one or both parents change.
  • Child custody modifications, when the needs of the child change, when the parent’s ability to provide child care change, or when one parent wishes to move or relocate with the child.

It is important to talk to a lawyer if you are interested in changing the terms of a divorce decree. You cannot simply relocate with a child, for example, without seeking permission from the court or the other parent, and modifying the child custody decree. Specific legal steps must be taken when seeking to modify child custody or support decrees.

Modify Child Support, Spousal Support Or Custody: Contact An Attorney In Roseville, California.

To schedule a confidential consultation to discuss the possibility of modifying child support, alimony or custody, contact us online today. Ms. Sullivan is available to meet with clients in Placer County and Sacramento County Monday through Thursday.